Tackle Football Specific AGE AND WEIGHT Information
ALL CHILDREN WILL HAVE A PLACE TO PLAY
EVERY WEIGHT GROUP HAS AN UNLIMITED WEIGHT AGE
The Manassas Youth Football League's Tackle Football Program participates as a member of the Fairfax County Youth Football League (FCYFL) and the FCYFL's football regulations require that the child is 7 years old to begin playing in the Ankle biter division. Divisions in tackle are designated by age and weight. Children can play up to 16 years old.
The Rookie League is an Instructional "In-House" League that does not compete in FCYFL activities.
Team placement is determined during an evaluation period held during the first 5 to 7 days of practice because FCYFL has 3 competitive levels in every level except Ankle Biters and the 155 pound weight class: American (ultra competitive); Central (more experienced ball players or when we field 1 team); and National (less experienced, younger, or lighter players). Player weight class placement will be determined when the player is weighed during gear distribution. To estimate which weight group your child will be placed in you can follow the table below:
***All ages except 15 and 16 year of age are as of October 1 of current year
15 and 16 years of age are age as of December 31 of current year
Instructions for reading the Age and Weight Matrix –
- Find your child’s age listed on across the top.
- Follow the arrow under the age.
- Find the corresponding weight group on the far-right column.
- The weight listed on the Matrix is the MAXIMUM weight for a selected age at the division
- Weights are only listed when an age is eligible for a specific age group.
- There are no weight restrictions for 7 year olds at Anklebiter, 11 year olds at 115 pound division, 12 year olds at 130 pound division, and 13 & 14 year olds at 155 pound division
For Example - a 10 year old is only eligible to play in the 80, 90, and 100 pound weight divisions. The maximum weight at 80 pounds is 85 pounds, 100 pounds in the 90 pound division, and 120 pounds in the 100 pound division
NEW MYFL/FCYFL AGE AND WEIGHT MATRIX - ADOPTED APRIL 2018
The Fairfax County Youth Football League subscribes to a participation rule that requires each child to have a starting position on offense or defense. We try to keep our team size in the range of 15 to 18 kids to allow for the most playing opportunity.
If you wish additional information please send an email to